Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Guess what...!?

...I'm moving to Arizona in 3 weeks!!!  Whaaaat?   

Yep, I have been offered a job at Central Arizona College, and am starting on January 3rd, its true.  I have loved living here and have made such good friends in the 2 1/2 years I have been here, so it will be sad to leave.  But I feel really good about it, and feel it came at the right time for me.  People are asking why, and I'm not gonna lie, the increase in salary is a significant pull.  I have been so grateful for this position as Staff Interpreter here, because of great experience, benefits and retirement, but benefits don't pay the bills.  Also there are some other things going on that make me realize it is time to move on, and I have been keeping my eyes open for a job with benefits and better pay, and found it! I just gave my 2 weeks notice, which I am relieved about (its always awkward), so now I can be excited about it.

The job is basically the same with additional counseling responsibilities, but I will be the only full time interpreter on campus, and there are only a few deaf students compared to 50ish at UVU.  I will be living in the Phoenix area (really more like Chandler/Tempe).  I have 2 good friends {who happen to be married to each other, and they have 2 of the cutest kids!} who live in Gilbert, so I will only be 15 mins or so away from them-exciting!!  I have felt increasingly good about accepting the job, and am so grateful for prayer, and family to help me make the right decisions for this next part of my life.  I am not looking forward to the "starting over" feeling, because it takes me so long to get used to an area and make new friends, and the packing and unpacking part doesn't seem so exciting either. But through prayer I know its right, so I have no real worries about it.  { I will miss some of my dear friends here, but I know we'll keep in touch, and I will visit often!!}
Yay!  Wish me luck!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats! How exciting for you. I will miss working with you but I totally understand why you gotta do it! Good luck and best wishes!

Lacey Voris said...

Congrats! Sad you are leaving though :( I understand about the 2 weeks notice. It is hard with a certain someone. Good luck and keep in touch!

JJ Olsen said...

I am jealous! I loved the 3 years I lived in AZ and I really hope to move back there some day.

Paty said...

Congratulations!! I was actually thinking about you today because I saw a job post for BYU for ASL interpreter, I was going to send it to you but now I know you have something better lined up. I hope you enjoy AZ!!!

rachel said...

le sigh. you know I wish it was DC but I totally support you in this :) when do you leave for Christmas? I'm in UT the 18th-30th and i need to see you before you leave!!!

leah jane said...

oh congrats! fresh starts are always so fun and exciting!! i am so happy for you, but sad that we will now live even further apart. especially cause we haven't even had a chance to hang out yet. how sad! :(

nana and atom said...

AAA! Jer, that is SO exciting!! congratulations! arizona will be great at that time of the year... the summer is a whole other story but i'm sure you'll get used to it quick :) i'm so happy for you!